My first furniture pieces were all composite wood. Five years later, they are literally falling apart. As they are slowly being replaced, I am trying to be thoughtful about what I purchase so that we don’t end up with things sitting around that aren’t useful or good quality. But of course, they have to be a good price!
My sister found this table and chairs set on Craigslist and it fit the 3 things I wanted perfectly:
- Quality/solid wood that would last a long time-
- Something that would look nice with our existing living/dining room furniture and color scheme-
- I didn’t want to pay a ton of money-
She offered to paint them for me which was amazing:
The table & chairs were used by a family with 3 little girls; now they will continue to be enjoyed by a new little girl!
As my sister regularly paints and sells furniture, I asked her what her top 5 tips were for furniture DIY redo’s:
- “Use Waverly water based acrylic paint and not the cheaper stuff or spray paint.”
- “Use a high quality brush.” [I know from experience that cheap ones have loose fibers that will come off and get stuck in the paint].
- “Take your time and wait the full amount of recommended time between multiple coats of paint.”
- On searching Craigslist for furniture: “Never be afraid to offer someone $20 for their entire living room set…sometimes they say yes.”
- “Solid wood is the way to go. MDF furniture will fall apart in a few years…so it’s a waste of time to DIY it if you plan on keeping it.”
What are your tips for DIY-ing furniture? Please share below!
If you enjoyed this post, please “like” it and consider sharing it below: