Is it actually cheaper to bring your own lunch to work? Yes! By how much exactly? I always wondered, but the folks at How Stuff Works says you could save $1,500 a year (they did the math here).
Here’s 5 tips on how to save while bringing your own lunch to work:
- Invest once in:
- reusable drink bottles
- glass or plastic lunch containers
- reusable ice packs
- a reusable lunch bag
- Bring your own silverware instead of buying plastic utensils
- Stay away from pre-packaged “convenience foods”. The single serving packs are almost always more expensive than say, buying a bag of pretzels and dividing it into smaller portions.
- Buy a faucet filter and make your own “bottled water” at home (add lemon slices or fruit to mix it up!)
- Have an incentive! If there’s a reward to bringing your lunch everyday, you may be more likely to do it- so set up a goal and once you meet it, reward yourself.
How do you save money on lunches?
If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it on Facebook or Twitter below: